Wednesday, June 08, 2011

WHAT'S OUR CALL?


One night at a small church in Atlanta, Georgia, a man shared how he had become a Christian while in Sydney, Australia.


"I was at the street corner in Kings Cross," the man began, "when I felt a tug on my sleeve. Turning, I found myself face to face with a street bum. Before I could say anything, the man simply asked me, 'Mister, if you were to die tonight, where would you spend eternity?' " "That question troubled me over the next three weeks," the man continued. "I had to find an answer, and I ended up giving my life to Christ."


The pastor of the Atlanta church was amazed that a man on a street corner could have such an impact. But imagine his amazement when, three years later, another man came to his church and gave an almost identical testimony. He, too, had been at Kings Cross in Sydney when a derelict had pulled on his sleeve and then asked him, "If you were to die tonight, where would you spend eternity?" This second man, also haunted by the street bum's question, eventually sought and found an answer in Jesus.


Shortly after hearing the second testimony, the pastor of that small church in Atlanta had to be in Sydney for a missions conference. On one of his nights off, he went to Kings Cross to see if he could find the man who had been mentioned at his church by two different people. Pausing on a street corner to look for someone like the street bum he'd heard about, he felt a tug at his jacket. He turned, and before the poor old man could say anything, the pastor blurted out, "I know what you're going to ask me! You're going to ask me if I were to die tonight, where would I spend eternity?"


The man was stunned. "How did you know that?" he inquired. The pastor told him the whole story. When he finished, the man started to cry. "Mister," he said, "10 years ago I gave my life to Jesus, and I wanted to do something for Him. But a man like me can't do much of anything. So I decided I would just hang out on this corner and ask people that simple question. I've been doing that for years, mister, but tonight is the first time Ever that I knew it did anybody any good."


God calls us not to be successful, but to be faithful in following where He leads. We need to obey God even when we can't see whether it does any good or makes a difference in someone else's life. I encourage you to stay faithful to the Lord even when things don't make sense and be sensitive to that still small voice because that is the Lord leading you to where He wants you to be || 1 Kings 19:11-12


No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS POST? EXPRESS YOURSELF...