Saturday, November 04, 2017

The Inner Critic


All of us have an accusing voice - a nagging, troublesome conscience or tormenting memories. As one friend said, “We know the voice and it’s with us every day. That inner censor makes its presence known repeatedly - especially when we’re in a low spot.”

Too often we listen and sink even lower, thereby endowing that detractor with the power to steal our joy and rob us of peace. Our self-faultfinder thrives in our tender places - those vulnerable spots and uncertainties. It’s where we store our shame and embarrassments.

In recent years, I’ve learned to rise above that condemnation.

First, I talk to the judgmental voice. Instead of fighting it, I say, “Yes, I failed to...” or “I’m still embarrassed over...”

Second, I remind myself that God forgives me, no matter what I’ve done (or didn’t do). I say, “God has forgiven me, so you don’t have to keep tormenting me.” Then I add, “Besides that, I forgive Cec.”

Third, I say to my inner critic, “Thank you for reminding me and, with God’s help, I won’t fail in that area again.”

Recently, I spoke harshly to a friend and immediately apologized. That sneaky voice whispered, “You failed at this before. Remember?”

I laughed and said, “I distinctly remember forgetting. Besides, Psalm 103:12 reads, ‘As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.’ That means it’s gone and you can’t bring it up again.”

I honestly do it that way. Maybe it won’t work for you, but it might be worth trying.

Written by Cecil Murphey - Writer | Speaker | Teacher | Survivor

1 comment:

  1. Very attention-grabbing diary. lots of blogs I see recently do not extremely give something that attract others, however i am most positively fascinated by this one. simply thought that i'd post and allow you to apprehend.

    ReplyDelete

WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS POST? EXPRESS YOURSELF...