Monday, July 01, 2019

Only the Strong by Cec Murphey

Courtesy: ebay.com

After Jerry Sandusky was convicted of molesting boys at Penn State and sentenced, a reporter asked one of his supporters how Sandusky was doing.

“Staying strong,” he said.

About a year ago, I heard the shocking news that a writer I know well, and who was also a professor of a midwestern university, had molested females. He had tenure and “retired” so the university didn’t have to set up legal proceedings.

When interviewed, he said, “It was all a matter of misunderstanding between us.”

I point out these two examples to make my point: both men stood strong.

Or did they?

Although my dad was a functional alcoholic, he was also a man of principle. Here are two things he instilled in me: (1) “A man’s word is his bond,” and (2) “only the strong can admit mistakes.”

Only the strong? I recently read an online article that said, in effect, the weak can’t admit mistakes. They blame others, point fingers, or make excuses, but they’re unable to acknowledge their own failures and weaknesses.

The author pointed out that to admit wrongdoing causes a crack in their defensive walls. And once the crack appears, they can’t hold the structure from complete collapse.

Sad, isn’t it? Not only that, but they can’t experience the sense of being forgiven by God or by others. I write that because if they can’t admit failure (as in sin or wrongdoing), how can they accept divine forgiveness?

In the past, when I admitted I was wrong, I felt weak and often worthless. Perhaps that’s what’s needed to arrive at inner cleansing.

(Taken from Cec Murphey monthly newsletter)

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS POST? EXPRESS YOURSELF...