Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Complaining Doesn’t Improve Things

Source: Unknown

Like all humans, I am tempted to complain. But when I am, I often think about those nurses. Even on the days when nothing is going right, we have reasons to be grateful. When my daughter Madison was a teenager and went through typical teen angst, I would say, “Tell me the one good thing about today.” If you have a propensity to complain, ask yourself the same thing. If you start by focusing on what is good, you will be surprised how the good usually far outweighs the bad.

Social media can be a wonderful outlet for support if you are frustrated or overwhelmed, but be mindful how you post. Cryptic complaints are rarely cryptic. If you have an issue with work, think before you slam your organization for the whole world to see it. If someone has upset you, talk to the person directly.

Attention-Seeking Post

I hate my life. I cannot do this another day if certain people do not step up and do their jobs and support me.

Appropriate Post for Support

I have had a challenging year as I adjust to my new position. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers! If you have felt like I do and have some words of wisdom, please send them my way!

Attention-Seeking Post

How are you gonna do that to me and think you are gonna get away with it? You know who you are.

Appropriate Post

(Don’t post this publicly. Contact the person directly.) I would love to talk with you about some issues that have weighed heavily upon my heart. Do you have time for a call or for a cup of coffee?

Be mindful that once your words are out there, they are out there forever. Nothing is truly private. If you wouldn’t want your boss, your co-workers, your students, your children, your family, your friends, or anyone else to see it, don’t post it.

(From Talk to Me: Find the Right Words to Inspire, Encourage, and Get Things Done
by Kim Bearden, published July 16th 2018 by Dave Burgess Consulting, Incorporated. Used by permission)

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS POST? EXPRESS YOURSELF...