Monday, August 02, 2021

Needed Problems

Source: Unknown
Years ago, I wrote this aphorism: The messes in life are my best teachers; I don’t like them, but I need them. I could have called them problems, disruptions, adversities, or any other negative word.

I don’t like dealing with problems. I wish they didn’t interrupt my life, but I need them.

So do all of us.

We need them because the painful, unwanted, intrusive events in life push us to re-examine ourselves and to make changes. As long as we’re doing all right, we ignore the things we don’t like. It takes the heartaches and anguish to make us stop, ponder, and sometimes take action. 

Before I can accept those unwanted motivations, I’ve learned to ask myself one question. “What's going on inside me that makes me need this problem?” If those hard times had no purpose, I’d probably fall into despair. Just to ask the question acknowledges that the situation is bigger than my new disruption. 

Everyone won’t ask the question, and many don’t have the courage to listen for the answer. If we’re committed to growth, it’s a significant question, even if we don’t grasp the reason.

Here’s how I see this. My wise, loving God knows what I need to take the next forward step. By asking the question, I can make the most of those uninvited elements.

Even if I don’t get answers, I’ve stepped toward deeper understanding about life. I also know that I’m more open to embrace the adversities of life. 

By seeking to understand the hard times, or at least to accept them as nudges toward maturity, I become stronger and more able to handle the next situation—and it will likely be worse.

by Cecil Murphey

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS POST? EXPRESS YOURSELF...