Saturday, December 31, 2011

PRAY FOR ONE ANOTHER


I cannot tell why there should come to me
A thought of someone miles and miles away!
In swift insistence on the memory,
Unless a need there be that I should pray.

Too hurried oft are we to spare the thought,
For days together, of some friends away;
Perhaps God does it for us, and we ought
To read His signal as a call to pray.

Perhaps, just then, my friend has fiercer fight,
And more appalling weakness and decay
Of courage, darkness, some lost sense of right;
And so, in case he needs my prayer, I pray.

Friend, do the same for me. If I intrude
Unasked upon you, on some crowded day,
Give me a moment’s prayer as interlude;
Be very sure I need it, therefore, pray.

And when you pray, dear friend, I ask of thee,
That thou will seek of God not mine own way;
Not what I want, but His blest thought for me,
Do thou through Jesus Christ implore, I pray.

Marianne Farningham
(the last verse added by James M. Gray)

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS POST? EXPRESS YOURSELF...